Your happiness is important, so if you are feeling unhappy, depressed or anxious, you must talk to someone and get help. Make an appointment to see your GP, who will be able to advise you.
Many people feel unhappy, depressed or anxious from time to time for short periods and sometimes it can be difficult to stop yourself feeling these things. Here are some things you could try to help make yourself feel better:
- Eat proper healthy meals. Oily fish, in particular, may help alleviate depression.
- Take some exercise. It makes your body and mind relax and can stimulate chemicals in your brain called endorphins, which can help you to feel better.
- Occupy your mind. Replace your anxiety with constructive activity, write how you feel in a diary, or listen to your favourite music.
- Set yourself goals that you can easily achieve. This will give you a sense of satisfaction.
- Talk to your friends or family, they’ll want to help you.
- Know that you are not alone and that there are people who can help you.
FIND OUT MORE
Mental health charity Mind offers lots of information and advice about depression.
Another useful charity is Young Minds.