Skip Links

home, law & money

Get the facts

What support can I receive if I live independently?

There are a number of benefits that you may be entitled to if you are an adult on the autism spectrum:

• You may get financial help towards the rent you pay, depending on any income and savings you have.

• If you do not have a job and are registered for or receive Job Seekers Allowance, you could get financial help towards your Council Tax.

• If someone helps to look after you, that person could get financial help called Carer’s Allowance.

• If you are over 16 and work more than 16 hours a week, you may also receive money in the form of Working Tax Credits.

• Child Benefit is paid to your parents towards your welfare until you are aged 20.

You can consult an online benefits adviser to find out what other benefits you may be entitled to (see below).


Use this online benefits adviser at Directgov to give you an indication of the benefits that you may be entitled to.

The Citizens Advice Bureau also offers full information about benefits in England.

You can order a benefits information pack from the NAS by calling the Autism Helpline - 0845 070 4004

There is also a government helpline offering general advice regarding which benefits you may be entitled to – Benefit Enquiry Line - 0800 882200